Do you need an Immigration Medical Exam?

Posted by Vian Sulevani|Canada Immigration
Jan 14

Most temporary residents do not realize that they may be required to undergo an immigration medical exam prior to their entry to Canada.  Under Canada’s immigration law, you must have a medical exam if you want to come to Canada for more than six months AND you have lived or travelled for six consecutive months in a country or territory on the designated countries list, in the one year immediately before the date you want to enter Canada.  This applies even if you are a citizen of a country that does not need a visa to enter Canada or require an immigration medical exam.  The list of designated countries is updated by Citizenship and Immigration Canada and should be reviewed prior to making any travel arragnements.  The immigration medical exam cannot be performed by your own doctor, it can only be performed by a panel physician.

Immigration medical exams are also required for individuals coming to Canada to work in an occupation that brings them into close contact with people.  This will apply to workers in the health sciences field, clinical laboratory workers, doctors, nurses, medical students admitted to Canada to attend university, domestic caregivers, nannies, and teachers.

The medical exam can add on additional processing time, so it is essential to determine whether an immigration medical exam will be required prior to your travels to Canada.

For more information on this or any other Canadian or US immigration matters, please contact PricewaterhouseCoopers Immigration Law LLP – Immigration Lawyers at 1-800-993-9971 or

Posted by Vian Sulevani » No Comments »

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

− one = 4

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>