Live-In Caregiver Applying for Permanent Residence

Jun 13

Live-in caregivers are individuals who are qualified to provide care for children, elderly persons or persons with disabilities in private homes without supervision.   Live-in caregivers must live in the private home where they work in Canada.  A Live-in Caregiver working in Canada under the Live-in Caregiver Program (LCP) has up to 4 years, from the date of their arrival in Canada, to complete the employment requirement to be eligible to apply for permanent residency.

The Live-in Caregiver may choose between 2 options to calculate the number of hours of employment required to apply for permanent residence:

    • 24 months of authorized full-time employment; or
    • 3,900 hours (within a minimum of 22 months, which may include a maximum of 390 hours of overtime) of       authorized full-time employment.

The Live-in Caregiver must hold a valid Work Permit pursuant to the LCP at the time of the application for permanent residence.

For more information on this or other Canadian or US immigration matters, please contact PricewaterhouseCoopers Immigration Law LLP – Immigration Lawyers at 1-800-993-9971 or

Posted by Vian Sulevani » No Comments »

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

7 − six =

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>