Posted by Veronica Zanfir|Global Immigration
Feb 10

Effective immediately, Canada Visa Application Centers throughout India may refuse study permit applications submitted less than a month prior to the start of the school term unless a letter of acceptance is submitted from the Canadian educational institution which clearly states that the student will be admitted to a later program of study.

Posted by Veronica Zanfir » No Comments »

Credential Recognition Service Offices to Address the Professional Equivalency Requirements of Potential Canadian Immigrants Overseas

Posted by Veronica Zanfir|Global Immigration
Feb 10

Citizenship and Immigration Canada will be funding the operation of new offices in China, India, the Philippines and the United Kingdom to address the needs of immigrant professionals to secure their foreign credential assessments prior to their arrival in Canada.

New immigrants indicate that foreign credential recognition is one of their top challenges in integrating in Canada following their arrival. To this end, the Canadian Immigration Integration Project (CIIP), run by the Association of Canadian Community Colleges (ACCC), will receive additional funding of $15 million over the next three years to expand their services in India, China and the Philippines. An office will also be opened in the United Kingdom in the fall of 2011, which will address the needs of potential immigrants from various Nordic and Arab states. Further, the Canadian Government has allocated $50M over two years (2009-2010) to ensure that a common approach is established with respect to foreign credential recognition for new immigrants.

Posted by Veronica Zanfir » No Comments »

New Rules Help Draw Foreign Students

Posted by Donna Habsha|Canada Immigration
Feb 10

A pilot project between Canada’s visa offices in India and 20 member colleges of the Association of Canadian Community Colleges (ACCC) was recently announced to increase the approval rate for study permit applications destined for participating colleges. Wait times for a study visa have gone from eight months to an average of 2.5 weeks. Despite having tightened screening of applicants to ensure sufficient financial resources and English proficiency, approval ratings for student visa applications in India have more than doubled from the previous year. Canadian colleges laud the program, saying it will help them compete with schools in the United States, Britain and Australia in attracting international students, who pay far higher tuitions than local students and make globally savvy employees down the line.

Posted by Donna Habsha » No Comments »

K-1 Fiance Visa – Shorter Waiting Periods Than Marriage-Based Petitions

Posted by Marwah Serag|US Immigration
Feb 10

Foreign nationals who are engaged to U.S. citizens may be eligible for the K-1 Fiance Visa.  Eligibility for the K-1 Fiance Visa depends on a number of factors including that you have the intent to enter the U.S. to marry your U.S. citizen fiance, that you have met with your U.S. citizen fiance within the last two years prior to filing the K-1 Fiance Visa, and that you will marry your U.S. citizen fiance within 90 days of entering the U.S.  Contact one of our U.S. attorneys to discuss your eligibility for the K-1 Fiance Visa.   

Posted by Marwah Serag » No Comments »

The 2010 Olympic Games – How will they Impact Visitors to Canada and Other International Travelers?

Posted by Veronica Zanfir|Global Immigration
Feb 10

  • In anticipation of this year’s Olympic Games to be hosted in Vancouver in the winter of 2010, large numbers of international visitors will be aiming to enter Canada. Many well-intending spectators may have purchased their tickets unaware that Citizenship and Immigration Canada, the host country’s administrative body responsible for the entry of foreign nationals, places numerous restrictions and potential barriers on international travelers. It is therefore imperative that international travelers headed to Canada to attend the Olympic Games be aware of Canada’s restrictions on visitors.
  •  At a minimum, persons seeking to enter Canada as visitors, to attend the Olympic Games, will have to present a valid travel document or passport issued by their country of nationality. Some citizens of the USA and US Green Card holders may not require a passport to enter Canada pending other proof of identity, but do require a US passport to re-enter the USA, and as such should travel with a passport in these circumstances.

    Most foreign nationals also require a visitor visa for Canada in order to attend the Canadian winter Olympics. Only the following foreign nationals are exempt from the visitor visa requirement:

    • citizens of Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Botswana, Brunei, Croatia, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel (National Passport holders only), Italy, Japan, Korea (Republic of), Latvia (Republic of), Lithuania, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Namibia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Papua New Guinea, Poland, Portugal, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Solomon Islands, Spain, Swaziland, Sweden, Slovenia, Switzerland, United States, and Western Samoa;
    • persons lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence who are in possession of their alien registration card (Green card) or can provide other evidence of permanent residence;
    • British citizens and British Overseas Citizens who are re-admissible to the United Kingdom;
    • citizens of British dependent territories who derive their citizenship through birth, descent, registration or naturalization in one of the British dependent territories of Anguilla, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Montserrat, Pitcairn, St. Helena or the Turks and Caicos Islands;
    • persons holding a British National (Overseas) Passport issued by the Government of the United Kingdom to persons born, naturalized or registered in Hong Kong;
    • persons holding a valid and subsisting Special Administrative Region passport issued by the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China;
    • persons holding passports or travel documents issued by the Holy See.


    If you require a visa you must apply for it in advance, at a Canadian embassy in your home country. In order to secure a visitor visa, your must confirm that you possess sufficient ties to your home country and that you are not inadmissible to Canada.

    PricewaterhouseCoopers Immigration Law LLP has assisted foreign nationals to secure temporary and permanent residence visas for nearly two decades and is well versed in presenting visitor visa cases at Canadian Embassies and Consulates worldwide. Contact one of our experienced immigration lawyers for assistance to secure you visitor visa for the Canadian 2010 Olympic Games, at or 1-800-993-9971.

  • Posted by Veronica Zanfir » No Comments »

    Changes Impact Intra-Company Transferees Headed to Start-Up Companies in Canada

    Posted by Veronica Zanfir|Global Immigration
    Feb 10

    Citizenship and Immigration Canada has posted new guidelines and specifications governing Intracompany Transferees. These have taken effect as of November 10, 2009.

    Specifically, the new guidelines impact international companies that intend to transfer employees to Canada for the purpose of opening a new office or a start-up business. Pursuant to these changes, where an international company intents to place an Intercompany Transferee in Canada for the purpose of employment with a start-up company, that international employer must evidence:

    • physical premises to house the Canadian operation
    • • realistic plans to staff the new operation
    • • financial ability to commence business in Canada and

    compensate employee

    Requirements for the Intracompany Transferee are as follows:

    • • Executives/managers:


    o company must demonstrate that it will be large enough to  support executive or management function

    • • Specialized Knowledge:

    o company must demonstrate that it is expected to be doing


    o work must be guided and directed by management at the

    Canadian operation

    The duration of Work Permits issued in these circumstances are:

    • • Initial Work Permit: 1 year
    • • For renewals, evidence should be provided that:

    o the Canadian and foreign companies still have a qualifying


    o the new office has engaged in the continuous provision of goods or

    services for the past year

    o the new office has been staffed

    The changes to the Canadian Intracompany Transferees program seem to have brought it into line with requirements already outlined in the program’s US conterpart (L-1 nonimmigrant visa), although some of the guidelines appear narrower under the Canadian branch of the test.

    Posted by Veronica Zanfir » No Comments »